In a world where electric vehicles are becoming increasingly popular, Renault has unveiled its latest addition to the electric family, the fifth-generation Renault Scenic E-Tech Electric. This all-electric people mover proudly carries the E-Tech badge and shares the CMF-EV platform with its European compact EV siblings, the Renault Megane E-Tech, and the Nissan Ariya. With a focus on sustainability, impressive range, and innovative features, the Scenic E-Tech Electric promises to be a game-changer in the EV market.
The Power Behind the Scenic E-Tech
Renault offers two enticing zero-emission powertrains for the Scenic E-Tech Electric, both powered by LG nickel-manganese-cobalt (NMC) batteries. Let’s dive into the details:
Standard Range Version
The Standard range version boasts a front-mounted electric motor generating 125 kilowatts (170 horsepower) and 206 pound-feet (280 Newton-meters) of torque. It draws its power from a 60-kilowatt-hour battery pack, providing an impressive 260 miles (420 kilometers) of driving range in the WLTP cycle. The Scenic E-Tech Electric accelerates from 0 to 62 miles per hour in just 9.3 seconds, with a top speed of 93 mph (150 kilometers per hour) for this trim. Notably, DC fast charging is available at up to 130 kW, ensuring quick and convenient recharges.
High Range Version
For those seeking more power and range, the High range Scenic E-Tech Electric delivers. Equipped with a robust motor generating 160 kW (220 hp) and 221 lb-ft (300 Nm) of torque, this variant features an 87 kWh battery pack. With an estimated range of over 385 miles (620 km) on the WLTP cycle, it offers outstanding long-distance capabilities. DC fast charging is possible at up to 150 kW, making it ideal for road trips. Accelerating from 0 to 62 mph takes only 8.4 seconds, and it can reach a top speed of 105 mph (170 kph). Both variants can also be charged on AC power at up to 22 kW.
What’s particularly impressive about these battery packs is their modular design. Renault ensures easy individual module replacement and repair, reducing maintenance costs and extending the vehicle’s lifespan. Additionally, Renault takes pride in the eco-friendliness of its EVs, as they contain no rare earths in the electronics, battery, and motor, aligning with the sustainability trend seen in the Zoe and Megane E-Tech models.
An Environmentally Conscious Design
The fifth-generation Scenic E-Tech Electric goes the extra mile in terms of sustainability. It incorporates recycled materials throughout its construction:
- Up to 80 percent recycled material for the dashboard structure.
- 26 percent recycled materials for the cockpit.
- Carpets made from 97 percent recycled plastic bottles.
- Headlining composed of 99.5 percent recycled plastic bottles.
- Leather-free interior.
- Solarbay opacifying panoramic glass roof made from 50 percent waste material.
- 37 percent of the car’s ferrous components are made from recycled materials.
- 40 percent recycled aluminum for the hood and doors, utilizing a closed-loop recycling system.
This eco-conscious approach not only reduces waste but also showcases Renault’s commitment to preserving the environment.
Spacious and Tech-Savvy Interior
Inside, the Scenic E-Tech Electric offers seating for five and a completely flat floor, creating a roomy and flexible cabin space. The rear armrest provides 3.6 liters of storage and includes fold-out stands for smartphones or tablets, along with two drink holders and two USB-C outlets. With a length of 175.9 inches, width of 73.3 inches, and height of 61.8 inches, the Scenic E-Tech Electric offers ample space for passengers and cargo. It boasts a trunk capacity of 545 liters and weighs 4,060 pounds in the case of the 87-kWh version.
The technological centerpiece of the interior is the OpenR Link digital cockpit, consisting of two screens: a 12.3-inch horizontal TFT screen behind the steering wheel and a 12-inch vertical touchscreen in the middle of the console. This infotainment system supports over 50 apps, including Google Maps, and is compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, available through both wired and wireless connections.
Renault prioritizes safety with over 30 driver assistance systems and safety features incorporated into the Scenic E-Tech Electric. Notable features include context-aware adaptive cruise control, Stop & Go functionality, and lane centering, providing a secure and convenient driving experience.
In conclusion, the Renault Scenic E-Tech Electric is a remarkable addition to the world of electric vehicles. With impressive range options, a sustainable design, spacious interior, and cutting-edge technology, it sets a high standard for family EVs. Renault’s commitment to eco-friendliness and innovation shines through in this exceptional vehicle.
- How long does it take to charge the Scenic E-Tech Electric on AC power?
- The Scenic E-Tech Electric can be charged on AC power at up to 22 kW.
- Are there any rare earths used in the Scenic E-Tech Electric’s construction?
- No, Renault has eliminated rare earths from the electronics, battery, and motor of the Scenic E-Tech Electric.
- What is the trunk capacity of the Scenic E-Tech Electric?
- The Scenic E-Tech Electric offers a trunk capacity of 545 liters.
- What is the estimated range of the High range Scenic E-Tech Electric?
- The High range Scenic E-Tech Electric boasts an estimated range of over 385 miles on the WLTP cycle.
- Is wireless connectivity available for smartphone integration in the Scenic E-Tech Electric?
- Yes, the Scenic E-Tech Electric supports wireless connectivity for both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.